On this page I will attempt to walk you through the L.A.S.E.R. combat system in a non-confusing, uncomplicated way.
First, a few tips on some things you need to keep in mind during combat:
- You will need to keep in mind the # of units still alive when making attacks.
- – - – * 50 men start out rolling 50d2 when attacking in melee, but after incurring casualties (say, 10), their roll will decrease (in this case, to 40d2).
- When a force of 50 men with a total of 500 health is attacked and decreased to, say, 453 health, there are 46 men remaining. In this case there are 45 unscathed men and one wounded man (# of wounded men is not necessarily important, but it IS important not to think that you should round down from 45.3 men and say that this is only 45 men. There are still 46 men alive, and their attack roll should reflect that).
How to engage in L.A.S.E.R. melee combat:
- Know your force’s # of combatants, total health, and attack dice. Know all this for the enemy as well.
- Attack the enemy by rolling your attack roll. Subtract the value from the enemy total health.
- In that same round the enemy also makes an attack roll and the value is subtracted from your total health.
- Calculate the surviving # of combatants for both factions by dividing the post-attack health value by the health value of each unit.
- Using the new # of combatants after the casualties of the first round, repeat the process until the battle is resolved.
Example L.A.S.E.R. melee combat:
- Update: This example is out of date. The L.A.S.E.R. system has since been updated, and the additions to the Veteran Humans’ attack rolls would be different with the new system.
- 30 veteran Humans attack 30 green Orcs.
- – - – * Humans: Attack dice of 30d2+20, and total health of 600.
- – - – * Orcs: Attack dice of 30d2, and total health of 300.
- Combat rounds:
- Human attack: 30d2+20 = 64. Orc counter: 30d2 = 44. Results:
- – - – * Humans: 28/30 men, 556/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 24/30 orcs, 236/300 health
- Orc attack: 24d2 = 37. Human counter: 28d2+20 = 59. Results:
- – - – * Humans: 26/30 men, 519/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 18/30 orcs, 177/300 health.
- Human attack: 26d2+20 = 64. Orc counter: 18d2 = 28. Results:
- – - – * Humans: 25/30 men, 491/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 12/30 orcs, 113/300 health.
- Orc attack: 12d2 = 19. Human counter: 25d2+20 = 53. Results:
- – - – * Humans: 24/40 men, 472/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 6/30 orcs, 60/300 health.
- Human attack: 24d2+20 = 57. Orc counter: 6d2 = 10. Results:
- – - – * Humans: 24/30 men, 462/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 1/30 orcs, 3/300 health.
- Orc suicide: 1d2 = 1. Human execution: 24d2+20 = 54. Final Results:
- – - – * Humans: 24/30 men, 461/600 health.
- – - – * Orcs: 0/30 orcs, 0/300 health.